The "intellectual property" misnomer

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Sun Jul 13 08:50:10 EDT 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:33:32 +0200, Anton Vredegoor wrote:
> Probably nothing good can come from using it. I am not saying that it
> cannot be used to prevent something bad, but that it's probably better
> to try to do something good ...

Thank you.  I am in complete agreement with this sentiment, but you've
expressed it simpler than I did.

> if an idea has any quality it almost always depends on the ideas of a
> lot of other people. Therefore ideas are very unlikely to be
> "undivided" property, unless the intellectual level is very low.

This was in large part my basis for stating the term was meaningless.

--
 \     "Jealousy: The theory that some other fellow has just as little |
  `\                                      taste."  -- Henry L. Mencken |