Augmented Assignment question

Doug Tolton dtolton at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 18:17:40 EDT 2003

On 16 Jul 2003 16:51:38 -0400, aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:

>In article <215bhv0bnkn13eivh0s64ic5ml8obpgfg7 at 4ax.com>,
>Doug Tolton  <dtolton at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>I did some reading and it seems that an augmented assignment is
>>specifically verboten on tuples and lists.  Is there a clean way to
>>accomplish this?
>
>Really?

>[1]
>[1, 'foo']

I mis-spoke, lists are not included.  You cannot do augmented
assignments on tuples or multiple targets.

you can do what you typed, but you can't do.

>>> a,b = 0,0
>>> a,b += 1,1
SyntaxError: augmented assign to tuple not possible

or this:

SyntaxError: augmented assign to tuple not possible

That is specifically the point I was getting at.  Forgive the
technical slip of including lists in the discussion.

Doug