Python Quiz

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:08:00 EDT 2003

Duncan Booth :

>> On question 8, I'm not aware that Python borrowed anything from Java.

Aahz:

> Lib/threading.py, line 1

Other areas where Java has "had an influence" on python.

1. Logging. Isn't Vijay Sanip's logging package, derived from  pretty
much a copy of Java's log4j? Comment from "Lib/logging/__init__.py":
"Logging package for Python. Based on PEP 282 and comments thereto in
comp.lang.python, and influenced by Apache's log4j system."

http://www.red-dove.com/python_logging.html

2. Weak References. Influenced by Java, as well as other systems.

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0205.html

3. Unittest module. Comment from the lib\unittest.py "Python unit
testing framework, based on Erich Gamma's JUnit and Kent Beck's
Smalltalk testing framework." Junit being the javanese unit test
framework of choice.

Python and Java are such a natural fit, I foresee that there will be
even more cross-fertilisation between the two in the future.

So I'm hoping anyway.

--
alan kennedy