Deleting specific characters from a string

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 9 18:17:46 EDT 2003

    Behrang> is going to finally be what I am going to use.  I not
    Behrang> feel lambdas are so readable, unless one has serious
    Behrang> experience in using them and python in general. I feel it
    Behrang> is acceptable to add a named method that documents with
    Behrang> its name what it is doing there.

If you want to go the functional programing route, you can generalize
your function somewhat using a callable class:

class remove_char:
    def __init__(self,remove):
        self.remove = dict([ (c,1) for c in remove])

    def __call__(self,c):
        return not self.remove.has_key(c)

print filter(remove_char('on'), 'John Hunter')

Cheers,
Jh Huter