Perl -> Python hopeless?

Mike Rovner mike at nospam.com
Fri Jul 18 13:48:30 EDT 2003

"Helmut Jarausch" <jarausch at skynet.be> wrote in message news:3f182c9a$0$276

> having been a Perl fan for years I have nearly converted to Python.

I went the same way, happy with python now and never looked back.

> Still, there are LOTS and very good modules written in Perl.
> Is there a tool to lesson the burdon of translation of Perl to Python?

IMHO language differences leads to different style and I found that
rewriting is better than semi-automatic translation.

I had a project first implemented in perl, than rewrote in python.
Some idioms are completely different, for ex. code blocks in perl are
natural, classes are not.
OTOH classes are natural in python and no unnamed code blocks exists.
The list may be continued on and on.

Just .02

Mike