Will Python exceptions be documented?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jul 7 08:00:08 EDT 2003

Vegard Bakke wrote:

> All know that asin(2) is wrong, but how do I know that ValueError is
> the exception I should catch, and how do I know that is the only one?
> (Sorry, try it is the wrong answere here.)

See http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-math.html where
on this specific case, for example, it says

   Note: Specific exceptions raised in assorted error cases (and even
   whether some arguments are considered to be exceptional at all) are
   not defined in any useful cross-platform or cross-release way. For
   example, whether math.log(0) returns -Inf or raises ValueError or
   OverflowError is both platform- and release-dependent, and in cases where
   math.log(0) raises an OverflowError, math.log(0L) often raises a ValueError.

-Peter