Documentation examples needed

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Fri Jul 18 20:17:28 EDT 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:

> "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart at bmsi.com> wrote in message
> news:<aUnRa.16108$o54.11296 at lakeread05>...
>> I am still wanting to produce Python standard format
>> documentation for
>> Python extensions I have written.  I have looked at the docs that
>> come with Python itself, but I am new to Latex, and don't know
>> how to add the document classes and styles from texinput for a
>> new project.
>>
>> Is there a small project with documentation in the Python
>> standard that I can use as an example?
>
> Dave Kuhlman reported on the docutils mailing list that it was
> working on a docutils writer to produce standard Python
> documentation.
>
>    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/#docutilsdocpy

Right.  This extension to Docutils makes it easy to generate LaTeX
files for input to the Python LaTeX documentation system.  This
method enables you to write reStructuredText (reST) documents,
which have *minimal* mark-up, then translate them into LaTeX
documents. Use this and you may be able to avoid learning LaTeX,
which might *not* be a good thing.  Also be aware, that this
method lacks features that are supported by LaTeX mark-up
described in "Documenting Python".

Here are updated links:

    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/#docutils_pythonlatex
    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/rstpythonlatex_intro.html
    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/rstpythonlatex-1.0b.zip

I've also written a document about how to set yourself up for
processing documents with the Python LaTeX documentation system
and the above mentioned reST-to-Python-LaTeX translator..
You can find it here:

    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/#pythonlatexsetup
    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/pythonlatexsetup.html
    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/pythonlatexsetup.zip