Getting Started with python

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Thu Jul 10 10:07:32 EDT 2003

"Tony Steward" <tsteward at dodo.com.au> writes:

> Hello All,
> Ok i've decided to try Python can anyone point me at a simple demo of a
> windows program operating a database (maybe an address book) so I can see
> how it is done.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Tony

I'll assume you already know DBMS programming (and SQL syntax) from
other contexts, so the problem is to learn "how do I do this in
Python?"

You probably want to start here:
  http://www.python.org/topics/database/

Notice the "DB-API spec 2.0".  That is the generic interface.  You write
code to that API, and then use various databases (on various
platforms) underneath.

Next, see:
  http://www.python.org/topics/database/modules.html

Notice that each DBMS binding has its own nuances, with its own
documentation.  The nuances tend to be in establishing the initial
connection, and in the treatment of quotes in SQL statements.  That
is, they are all more or less compliant with the DBI-API.

Finally, I haven't done work specifically on Windows databases, but if
you are familiar with ODBC you might try:
http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC.html

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M31 Knowledge Management
Phone: (425) 294-8757