creating sparse files on win32

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Jul 15 13:49:22 EDT 2003

[erick_bodine at attbi.com wrote]
> I need to create some sparse files on a win32 system (2000 & 2003
> Server) in order to do some testing of another application (not
> python).  I have been poking around the win32all extensions (win32file
> specifically) that come w/ ActivePython but can't find anything that
> allows me to create a file with the 'sparse file attribute' set.
>
> Has anyone done this in python?

I haven't done this but MSDN teels me here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/sparse_file_operations.asp
that one needs to use the FSCTL_SET_SPARSE control:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/fsctl_set_sparse.asp

The code sample on the latter link uses the DeviceIoControl() Win32 API
method:
    >>> import win32file
    >>> win32file.DeviceIoControl
    <built-in function DeviceIoControl>
Also use this to determine if the file system supports sparse files:
    >>> win32api.GetVolumeInformation
    <built-in function GetVolumeInformation>

Hopefully that can give you a start.

Cheers,
Trent

--