anything like C++ references?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Wed Jul 16 23:51:24 EDT 2003

Quoth Adam Ruth <owski at hotmail.com>:
| "there aren't any situations that I care about where you can't avoid
| pointers." is certainly true.  But I still believe that there aren't any
| situations where the use of a pointer would provide a substantially
| better solution to the non-pointer route.  Any examples I've seen so far
| have non-pointer implementations that are just as good or better (of
| course, 'better' is a completely loaded word).

Loaded or whatever, as I've said, it's not an interesting issue in
this context.  If we were actually trying to decide how user indexing
should work, then it might be interesting to compare these two
semantically different approaches, but then it might not - because
the one I propose can't be implemented in Python.  And that's the
point, Python just cannot go there, because it lacks pointers.
Whether you want to go there is not really interesting to anyone
but you.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com