How does python work

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Jul 10 11:11:12 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:05:07 +0200,
	Geiregat Jonas <eniac at sdf-eu.org> wrote:
> I'm asking myself how Python code get's executed ...
> What happens first etc ...
> First read the file and then ..

The code is parsed and compiled into bytecode that can then be executed.
Consult a textbook on parsing or programming language implementation for
more details about how parsing is done.

I thought someone (MWH?) wrote an explanation of Python's internals once,
but can't find anything at the moment.  The Python docs have some relevant
material (http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/ext.html), but that document
doesn't concentrate on the implementation details, just on the bits you can
easily access from extensions.

> also could someone point me to the build in functions in the python source
> code ?

They're in Python/bltinmodule.c.

--amk
OTHELLO: Once more, well met at Cyprus!