python tags on websites timeout problem

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Jul 20 20:12:45 EDT 2003

gregadelliot at hotmail.com (jeff) writes:

> im trying to pull tags off a website using python ive got a few things
> running that have the potential to work its just i cant get them to
> becuase  of certain errors?
> file = urllib.urlretrieve("http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=rabbit"
> , "temp1.tmp")

Google's terms of service, IIRC, don't allow automated queries.  I'm
not entirely sure what that means, but people seem to interpret it as
meaning "Don't web-scrape", so don't do that.  Use the Google API
instead (you can get a free key).  It is true some bits of Google
aren't accessible through the API, though.  Dunno about the image
search facility.

http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=SOAP%20python%20google

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywebsvcs

John