Web tool kit : pro - cons ?

vincent_delft vincent_delft at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 06:58:26 EDT 2003

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> vincent_delft wrote:
>> My needs are :
>> - Build pages via templates (easy to split content and layout)
>
> ZPT seems to be a good option there.

Nice. New to me.
I've already played with Zope.... but ZPT seams to take the best from
Templates without having the Zope constraints.

>> - My pages will be defined with "boxes".  I would like to have a tool
>> that can manage easely such "object".
>
> You mean a WYSIWYG web development IDE for Python? I don't think there's
> such a thing.

No.  Each part of the web page will be "boxes".  I would like to be very
flexible and display "dynamically" some selected boxes.
For example the same page (url) will not display the same boxes if you are
administrator, maintener or simple viewer.
An another example will be to have possibility to re-use existing boxes.  If
I have a boxes displaying the last 5 news from Slashdot, I don't want to
re-write it each time I need a new bacground color (for example). My Idea
is to use those "boxes" like we use classes : if you need some modification
you subclass it on the rest remains the same.

>> - I will use PostgreSQL as backend.
>
> I'd suggest you use pyPgSQL or psycopg for this. I'm a little biased
> towards pyPgSQL, being one of it's developers ;-)

Yeah!!!!! Thanks for your work.  I'm fan of pyPgSQL it works very well
(version 2.4).