null pointer exceptions

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Jul 18 02:04:36 EDT 2003

Tennessee James Leeuwenburg wrote:

> Certainly I can catch it. However, Java does not require that it be
> caught
> itself.
>
> I realise it's not great practise to leave these kinds of things in
> your
> Java code, but I'm extending someone else's code, and don't really
> want to
> back-correct class after class as I find these problems coming up,
> especially since it doesn't cause Java any hassles.

So the Java program itself handles the NullPointerException, but when
run from Jython it doesn't?  I thought NullPointerExceptions always
propagated all the way up like normal RuntimeExceptions?

Or is it that in Java a NullPointerException is thrown in a side thread,
which dies, but everything else keeps running fine -- and Jython makes a
bigger deal out of the NullPointerException because it chokes on any
exception from any Java subthread?

If it's the latter, then it sounds like the right solution -- mimicking
Java's not-great-but-satisfactory behavior would be to catch the
NullPointerException in Jython and then toss it (since that is, what in
effect, Java is doing).

/  \ You can buy any kind of love, but you can't buy love deluxe.
\__/  Sade Adu