Upgrading python

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Jul 30 14:46:14 EDT 2003

On 30 Jul 2003 06:43:22 +0200, martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=) wrote:

>Stephen Boulet <stephen at theboulets.net> writes:
>
>> When I upgrade from 2.2.3 to 2.3 on windows, do I first uninstall 2.2.3?
>
>If you want to, you can have both 2.2 and 2.3 installed, side-by-side.
>If you want to replace 2.2, you should uninstall it first.

How do I know what will happen to file extension associations and the system path search
that takes unadorned python and finds some/path/to/python23.exe?

And how does the old python22 find what it needs? Do I need to go through a .cmd file that
sets up its environment before running? How do I know everything it needs?

IOW, how do you set up a clean way to run both 2.2.3 and 2.3 "side by side" but separately,
with default "python" going to 2.3?  I am being lazy in not reading the install docs yet,
but does it cover the question fully? If so, the answer to this post can just be "yes" ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter