file.close()

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Jul 25 15:10:20 EDT 2003

Bengt Richter wrote:

> 1) Is f.done() really necessary? I.e., doesn't an explicit del f take
>    care of it
>    if the object has been coded with a __del__ method? I.e., the idea
>    was to get
>    the effect of CPython's immediate effective del on ref count going
>    to zero, right?

It wouldn't if there were circular references at that point.  If you're
going to have some kind of `with' structure that constraints lifetimes,
I'd think you'd probably want something more concrete than just object
deletion; you'd want to make sure a "Stop whatever you were doing now"
method were present and called.  But maybe that really depends on the
primary thing that the `with' construct would be used for.

/  \ Love is when you wake up in the morning and have a big smile.
\__/  Anggun