Web tool kit : pro - cons ?

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 13:33:48 EDT 2003

In article <240b1020.0307292149.2cb95a13 at posting.google.com>, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
> I work with some very talented designers.  It used to be that they
> would give us (the developers) their designs and we'd rip them to
> shreds and they could never touch them again.  Because now they were
> in little bits and pieces and stuffed full of tags-within-tags, with
> silly things like 'standard_html_header' and 'standard_html_footer'
> (never really fitting a technical definition of header once complex
> designs enter the equation) making it very painful to apply what they
> would thing were rudimentary design changes.

jonpy works around this problem while also avoiding the limitations of
XML. The templates contain no code at all except <!--wt:name-->
"magic comments" and $$name$$ replacements. Both of these survive the
files being mangled by HTML editors and keeping as much as possible
out of the HTML file means that if you get given brand new
from-scratch design it is still a quick job to 're-templatify' the new
HTML.