pipeline

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Jul 5 09:01:00 EDT 2003

    Bob> When I worked at IBM I came across a great mainframe utility called
    Bob> Pipeline. It was driven by a specification that described data
    Bob> sources, various stages thru which the data was to be sent, various
    Bob> pipes that connected the stages, and various destinations for the
    Bob> data. The specification was not procedural. Each line of input was
    Bob> treated as a unit of data.

    Bob> I keep looking for something like this to arise for the PC. Have
    Bob> you seen anything like this? If not I'm inclined to write one, and
    Bob> Python seems a likely candidate for implementing such a program.

Depends upon your application domain.  In the scientific visualization realm
you might find VTK useful.  Also, check out MayaVi, a data visualizer
written in Python which uses VTK.  If you still live in the RPI area, the
VTK folks are headquartered in Clifton Park, NY.

For examples of what you can do, check out

    http://www.kitware.com/
    http://mayavi.sf.net/

Skip