Possible use of Python for a voting machine demo project -- your feedback requested

Alan Dechert adechert at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 20 20:44:01 EDT 2003

"A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca> wrote in message
news:K_idnV09hdycrYaiRTvU2Q at speakeasy.net...
> On 20 Jul 2003 16:06:11 -0700,
> Paul Rubin <> wrote:
> > one another.  Otherwise the ballot would be a voting receipt,
> > something that a good voting system should not provide.  Search for
> > "receipt-free voting" in Google to see what a big problem this is for
> > computerized systems.
>
> On the other hand, given the ready availability of cellphones with digital
> cameras, even in a paper-based system you can now make your own voting
> receipt while you're still in the voting booth.  Not clear what can be
done
> about this... perhaps you'll have to hand in your cellphone when voting,
and
> go through an X-ray system to prove you don't have it.

Right.  This receipt problem is way overblown.  If we really thought this
was a big problem, absentee voting would be illegal.  There are problems
with absentee voting but then look at Oregon -- they have gone to
vote-by-mail entirely.

There are always going to be some risks but we have to make them manageable.

Alan Dechert