Bewildered graphs

Mark Fenbers Mark.Fenbers at noaa.gov
Sat Jul 5 08:07:24 EDT 2003

I am investigating Python for the sake of ultimately generating hydrographs
(such as this: http://ahps.erh.noaa.gov/iln/ahps/RiverDat/gifs/prgo1.png)
on-the-fly from a web server cluster.  I have not used Python previously and do
not yet know if Python is very useful for this or if I am wasting my time.

Quite frankly, I am a little bewildered.  Not only is there Python, but there
are many extention modules which cloud up my view as to what I will need.
There's Scientific Python, which sounds promising, but there's also SciPy which
in itself has gnuplot, xplt and plt modules.  I know enough about gnuplot to
know that it won't meet my needs because I need to be able to shade regions
above certain values such as done in yellow on the example hydrograph (the link
above).  It also doesn't have many font options or the ability to place an image
such as the NOAA logo.

Can someone kindly guide me as to what I would most likely need to replicate the
graph shown via the link above?

Mark