Exceptions as New Style Classes

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Jul 31 06:51:11 EDT 2003

Steven Taschuk <staschuk at telusplanet.net> writes:

> Quoth Andrew:
> > To satisfy my curiosity I was wondering if anyone knew if this
> > behaviour was intentional?
> > Is there a specific reason why exceptions are not allowed to be new
> > style classes?
>
> It is intentional.
>
> There are two difficulties with allowing new-style classes as
> exception types.  Ideas exist for dealing with them, but at the
> moment none of them as been implemented.

They have, in PyPy!  (which doesn't do old-style classes at all, at
present).

IIUC, Guido thought what PyPy does would be sensible enough for
CPython, but I don't know what the timeframe might be.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  This is not to say C++ = bad, Lisp = good.  It's to say
  C++ = bad irrespective of everything else.