[OT] SCO is Going After End Users

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Mon Jul 21 18:23:28 EDT 2003

Russ Salsbury wrote:
> ComputerWorld says that SCO is going to charge Linux end users a
> license fee for "the opportunity to run Linux legally."
> <http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,83287,00.html?nas=PM-83287>
>  Lots of companies will pony up.
>
> I realize that this is OT,

Then please keep it to the appropriate groups. I'm sick and tired of
"news" about SCO's alleged claims.

> but SCO's action strikes at the heart of
> Open Source. Somebody with the right patents can try to tax or shut
> down the rest of us, regardless of the validity of their claims. [...]

That may be so in the US. In Germany, SCO is not allowed to spread their
FUD any further for the time being:

http://www.golem.de/0305/25730.html (German)

I'm too lazy to find an English translation for you.

Please let's keep this stuff off list. SCO is gaining way too much
attention already. And this is all they want: increase their stock
value/hope to be bought out.

Explicit Reply-To set if you fell you need to discuss this further with
me. Otherwise EOD from my side.

-- Gerhard