Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it ....

delphiro delphiro at zonnet.nl
Fri Jul 4 04:51:43 EDT 2003

> On the other hand, I don't take Dave's comment that he would rather be using Python and Emacs to the (really excellent) Delphi IDE too seriously either. OTOH maybe Dave actually feels this way but there are good reasons not to :

I guess you mean my (delphiro) comment.

As a daily Delphi user I do like the Delphi IDE but the Emacs editor is way better than the editor that comes with the Delphi IDE.

> For Windows GUI apps Delphi has a great screen-builder and a collection of 3rd party component (many freeware) that puts Tk/Swing/wxWindows/QT/GTK/everything else available to Python to shame.

Well, part of that is true.. you can drag and drop almost any possible component on a form and start working. This takes more time in Pyhton (in my case with wxPython) but I don't think Python should be 'ashamed' for its 3rd party tools. As for my private project I use scipy for calculations and graphical output (and even the option to save the output as pdf!). I have not seen any freeware component for Delphi with the same possibilities. As for the GUI part I start the design using Boa Constructor which also has a nice way to implement events and use the boa output in Emacs to get things useful. Easy does it, though I must admit that the GUI part will develop faster with the Delphi IDE (rough guess, about 2-3 times in development speed).

Once the GUI development is done and the 'actual' work starts I find Python easier to use and faster in development time than Delphi. I mean.. try creating a dynamic list that contains a integer, function, another list, a string etc. just in one line.

> Outside of that space (Linux, Mac) and for non-gui apps the benefit of Delphi is less-clear especially since Python comes with "batteries included" but Delphi still has a superb debugger, model driven development and a collection of great tools built into the IDE.

I certainly agree about the debugger though I realy doubt if using Emacs with its build in debugger is so much slower once you get used to it.

> Python *is* great but lets not pretend that its a good fit for every problem.

I doubt that (unless you develop hardware drivers).

Rob

--
[-- http://pyciv.sourceforge.net --]