Possible use of Python for a voting machine demo project -- your feedback requested

Paul Rubin http
Sun Jul 20 21:57:04 EDT 2003

"Alan Dechert" <adechert at earthlink.net> writes:
> You make a lot of good points.  As I understand it, Canada administers
> national, province, and local elections separately.  They happen at
> different times and are conducted by different entities.  The U.S. is one of
> very few where you see federal, state, and local contests on the same
> ballot.

The US does not have federal contests.  All elections for federal
office are actually state contests.  That includes Presidential
elections, which are a bunch of state contests for slates of electors
from the individual states.  That all the elections are state contests
and not federal ones is one of the reasons it's hard to impose uniform
national standards on how the elections are run.