Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it ....

Ian Sparks Ian.Sparks at etrials.com
Thu Jul 3 14:31:34 EDT 2003

Thomas Weholt wrote :
>Especially coders using compiled languages like Delphi/Pascal. They know some VB or
>Perl and laugh when I bring up Python. But don't loose faith.

Speaking as someone who uses Python and Delphi daily I have to say I don't laugh when someone brings up Python though I admit its hard to get Delphi developers to look at Python at all.

On the other hand, I don't take Dave's comment that he would rather be using Python and Emacs to the (really excellent) Delphi IDE too seriously either. OTOH maybe Dave actually feels this way but there are good reasons not to :

For Windows GUI apps Delphi has a great screen-builder and a collection of 3rd party component (many freeware) that puts Tk/Swing/wxWindows/QT/GTK/everything else available to Python to shame.

Outside of that space (Linux, Mac) and for non-gui apps the benefit of Delphi is less-clear especially since Python comes with "batteries included" but Delphi still has a superb debugger, model driven development and a collection of great tools built into the IDE.

You should also be aware of PythonForDelphi and COM - techniques that can be used to wrap a Delphi GUI around a Python engine - possibly the best of both worlds!

Python *is* great but lets not pretend that its a good fit for every problem.