Collective memory

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at news.widomaker.com
Sun Jul 6 20:27:41 EDT 2003

In article
<slrnbggc9a.8s2.ben-public-nospam at bunthorne.i.decadentplace.org.uk>, Ben
Hutchings wrote:

> So there is a risk here, and it's probably worth adopting a rule of
> not using tabs in Python code.  If you think a colleague broke the
> rule, the -t flag will alert you to any potential problems.

No, it won't alert you to *any* of them.

Outdented coding accidents to happen, and you have to manually review
the code to see it.  If you just happen to not know what the code was
supposed to have done, you can't fix these kinds of typos.

If you do it by previous and following implied logic, then you might
well get it right... or you might not.

The point is that when white-space determines logical flow, errors in
indentation add and destroy information.

Sure you can overcome it, but I just don't see the point.

I debugged and maintained big Python programs, and it was a frequent
error and problem.

--
Ah... you gotta love it when your ISP switches to a SPAMMING newsfeed.
Sigh...