Collective memory

Tue Jul 22 03:57:35 EDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:53:36 +0100 in alt.folklore.computers,
"Rupert Pigott" <roo at dark-try-removing-this-boong.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Pete Fenelon" <pete at fenelon.com> wrote in message
>news:vg8hns2u0l4off at corp.supernews.com...
>> In alt.folklore.computers Rupert Pigott
><roo at dark-try-removing-this-boong.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > OCCAM used WS to denote block structure... For
>>
>> ...and was generally written with folding editors that just "got it
>> right" ;)
>
>I noticed that a few of the KDE 3.1 editors support folding... :)
>
>Took me a while to work out what those lines & + things were in
>the left margin... Made me happy. :)

Xedit on IBM mainframes has supported it since at least the early
80s, as have later clones like Kedit, uni-xedit, THE; vim
supports it among the vi clones. emacs?

As an old Xedit user, it was normally called hiding or shadowing
referring to the shadow lines telling you how many lines are
hidden, scope, selective display, or just the "all" command.
What bright spark came up with a third overload of folding: as in
folding long lines; folding upper/lower case; and now folding
"structure"?

Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada
--
Brian.Inglis at CSi.com 	(Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca)
    fake address		use address above to reply