command prompt change dir

Iñigo Serna inigoserna at terra.es
Sun Jul 13 16:13:33 EDT 2003

Hello,

I think this is the solution midnight commander uses.

In lfm [1], I use something similar: I've created next shell function in
/etc/bashrc:

lfm ()
{
    /usr/bin/lfm $*;
    LFMPATHFILE=/tmp/lfm-$$.path;
    cd "`cat $LFMPATHFILE`";
    rm -f -f $LFMPATHFILE
}

Before exit, the program writes the directory into a temporal file
/tmp/lfm-pid.path, where pid is the process id of lfm, then change the
directory.

I hope this helps,
Iñigo

[1] http://www.terra.es/personal9/inigoserna/lfm