List of declared variables in interactive Python session?

Raymond Arthur St. Marie II of III rastm2 at aol.commorespam
Sun Jul 20 14:36:06 EDT 2003

>> Hello.
>>
>> Is there a way to list all the declared variables in an interactive
>> Python session?
>
>use "vars() "
>
>HTH,
>
>Vincent Wehren
>

>> Thanks,
>> Fredrik

I got one for ya.

I read some where that when the dir( ) has a lot of stuff in it, it is
convenient to use a for loop to see the contents. (example follows)
Now the reason for my 2 cents in this post.

>>> dir( )

['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__name__', 'pywin']

>>> for d in dir(): print d

__builtins__
__doc__
__name__
pywin

>>> vars( )

{'d': 'pywin', '__builtins__': <module '__builtin__' (built-in)>, '__name__':
'__main__', 'pywin': <module 'pywin' from
'C:\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\__init__.pyc'>, '__doc__': None}

>>> for v in vars(): print v

d   ### prints the first variable I declared in the first for loop then

Traceback (most recent call last):
RuntimeError: dictionary changed size during iteration

     ### opps no v in the dir( ) so...
>>> for v in vars(): print v

__builtins__
__name__
pywin
__doc__

You can see that you can print the same kind of display for vars( ) as you can
for the dir( ), so long as your iterater variable is declared previous to the
for loop.

Ray St.M
Proudly stating the obvious since birth.