command prompt change dir

Martin Franklin mfranklin1 at gatwick.westerngeco.slb.com
Fri Jul 11 04:28:02 EDT 2003

On Friday 11 July 2003 07:39, Peter Vestergaard wrote:
> Hi
> Probably a simple question but I have not been able to find out how:
> I want my python script to generate a path based on some simple lookups and
> then change my path so that when the script exits my command prompt (from
> which I launched the script) is standing at this path. The path already
> exists.
> I have tried chdir(path), system('cd '+path) and many others but none
> changes my actual path.
> Hope anyone can help
> Regards, Peter Vestergaard

I don't think it is possible to change the path of the calling program (in
this case the command prompt you use to start the python script....)
However you could use a shell trick to kind of do what you want:-

#!/usr/local/bin/python
# ChangePath script
# invoke from command line like so:
# cd `ChangePath.py`
#

# simple lookup...
path = "/usr/oracle/"
print path

Invoke the above from your command line (xterm or whatever...)

cd `ChangePath.py`

I have only tested this on Linux + bash and I would guess this would not work
on Windows...

Regards
Martin