handle <BR> tags

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Thu Jul 31 23:01:59 EDT 2003

Quoth Behrang Dadsetan:
  [...]
> I believe SGML does not like none closing tags. BR is one of the many
> none closing tags in HTML (also look at IMG or HR)

SGML has facilities for allowing closing tags to be omitted.  At
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html>, for example, we see

    <!ELEMENT BR - O EMPTY                 -- forced line break -->

That "- O" means the start tag is mandatory but the end tag may be
omitted.  If it is omitted, SGML parsers infer where it belongs
(which in this case is immediately after the start tag).

--
Steven Taschuk                                                   w_w
staschuk at telusplanet.net                                      ,-= U