Stop Python from exiting upon error in Windows

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 15 12:26:57 EDT 2003

Robert at AbilitySys.com wrote:

> Ok, I figured out the IDLE block indent (duh - RTFMenu), and now it works
> great in DOS. Again, thanks to all who helped.
>
> However, I'd still like to know how to determine what environment I'm
> running under inside my code. Any suggestions?

I doubt if there's any particular way to do it consistently.  In
principle one could write a cute module which would be able to check
the "signature" of the environment to figure it all out.  Check if
certain modules are in __builtins__ to see if you are running inside
an application that uses Python for scripting, check for sys.argv[0]
to learn whether you were launched in a way that suggests running as
a script with python.exe, etc.

It's probably not a great idea to write anything which depends on this
however, and it sounds like more time than it's worth.

-Peter