Sample Web application

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 05:07:21 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1057882397.1131.python-list at python.org>, Ian Bicking wrote:
> FWIW, I spent a lot of time trying to get those two lines to work,
> ultimately failing (it was a while ago, so I'm afraid I can't expand).
> It's entirely possible I was trying too hard and making it more
> complicated than it was... but configuring Apache in general is a pain,
> because diagnostics for that sort of configuration are largely
> nonexistent, you simply get incorrect behavior.  Or maybe I got Apache
> right, but the file layout wrong.  Whichever.

Certainly mod_rewrite can be difficult to get right. The redeeming
feature is RewriteLog which if you set it up to level 9 temporarily
while debugging means it is usually pretty clear what to do.

> My problems with FastCGI have been largely the same.  It shouldn't be
> complicated, but somehow manages to be so anyway.  The multitudes of
> FastCGI-reimplementors can't all be wrong, can they? ;)

I've definitely never found it complicated, there's a lot of server
options you can tweak but I've never needed to change any of them.
It's 1 line in the httpd.conf to say when to use the fastcgi handler.

Mind you, I have a habit of finding problems in things hundreds of
thousands of people have used without trouble also, so YMMV ;-)