A story about Python... sort of

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 18:23:34 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 06:50, Max Khesin wrote:
> import flame.*
> import sorry.*
> Ok, with all my respect to python, the stuff about C++ is a bunch of hooey.
> Compilation time is the problem? Give me a break.

It is *a* problem.  I'll agree that it's one of the least.

> 1) separate compilation?
> 2) precompiled headers?
> 3) tools that allow cluster compilation?
> 4) ever read 'large-scale c++ development' by Lacos? a must for large c++
> project. letter-envelope idiom to help compilation...etc.
> Anyway, if you are coding so fast that compilation time becomes a serious
> problem you are either
> a) the smartest and fastest programmer on earth
> b) are not thinking enough

Or making simple typos.

> c++ is great when execution speed and memory efficiency is a must. It is
> hard to learn, but there are great benefits, and do you really want halfwits
> (who can't learn it) involved on your project? It also (by design) makes
> previous C programmers productive very fast.

I won't disagree that there is a place for languages like C++.
Developing entire applications isn't it.

> Empirically - just look at all the C++ projects on SF!

And what percentage of those are incomplete, abandoned, or simply
unusable?

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)