Automatically filling in answers to interactive shell command questions

Ted Weatherly tbonemp3 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 18:23:25 EDT 2003

Is it possible to use python to automatically fill in the answers to
interactive shell command questions?  For example, I am using a shell
command addperson that behaves as follows:

  > addperson
  First Name: Ted
  Birthday: 12/08/1977
  Height: 6'0"
  Location: San Francisco, CA

I am prompted for "First Name: " and I enter "Ted".  I am prompted for
"Birthday: " and I enter "12/08/1977".  Imagine doing this for 100
people or more...it gets tiresome.

Assuming I can't change the addperson command to read data from a
file, is there any way to use python to fill in the data for the
expected questions?  Perhaps a different language would be better?

-Ted