A challenge to the ASCII proponents.

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jul 17 18:33:38 EDT 2003

Alan Kennedy wrote:
> For anybody who has MS Internet Explorer 5+, Netscape 6+, Mozilla 1+,
> i.e. any browser that supports XML, simply save this to a disk file
> and open it in your chosen browser.
[...]

> So, the challenge to the ASCII proponents is: put the greek word
> "gignooskoo" on everybody's screen, originating from a usenet message,
> in the original greek, where "oo" -> greek letter omega.
[...]
> I expect you won't find it as simple as the XML above, although I'm
> also completely prepared to be proven wrong (Alan tries to cover his
> a** in advance ;-).

So what do you think about this message?:

γίγνωσκω

Look Ma, no markup. And not every character uses two bytes, either.
And I can use Umlauts (äöü) and Arabic (ءﺎﻣ.ﺔﻛﺮﺷ) if I want to.

I don't know for whom this renders well, but I guess MSIE5+, NS6+
and Mozilla 1+ are good candidates - without the need for saving
things into files.

Regards,
Martin