python scripting game The Temple Of Elemental Evil update

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Mon Jul 7 14:05:09 EDT 2003

Quoting Bengt Richter (bokr at oz.net):
> I'm wondering what "the scripting" does in the above. I.e., who writes the scripts,
> and what aspect of the games do they implement? When are they executed, and by what?
>
> (Apologies, too lazy/tired right now to pursue it via the links on this page ;-)

Not trying to pursue this too far, and not trying to claim authority,
but most RPG-style games that use an embedded scripting environment,
use it more or less as the means of expressing content.

It's almost like the programmers build a Lego set out of C, C++, and
image files; then the game designers assemble the Legos using Python.
With a little more specificity, most of the games I have seen that use
this approach (which is a pretty large number of games) build a
graphics engine, a rules engine, and a collection of library routines
as primitives. These primitives are exposed into the scripting
language. The story itself is largely told through the scripting
language, by using the API to manage dialogue options, build quests,
etcetera.

I can't speak for the Temple of Elemental Evil in particular, but this
pattern holds true in dozens of similar titles. If they're doing
something different, they're doing something really very different.

--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts <geoff at gerrietts dot net>
-rw-rw-rw-:         permissions of the beast