Debugging mixed Python and C++ -- possible?

Carl Bevil carl_bevil at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 13:45:28 EST 2003

Hello all.  I'm investigating using Python for a large project to be completed
later this year.  Parts of it will be coded in C++, mixed in with Python.

The platform we'll be coding on is "proprietary", and doesn't support dynamic
linking, so if we decide to go with Python we'll embed the interpreter and any
extension modules into the application itself.  At least, I think this is the
best way to go based on the research I've done.

To debug in C++ on this platform, one can use CodeWarrior on a Windows machine
remotely (CodeWarrior is also used to compile C++ to native code for this
platform).

What I'm concerned about is the ability to debug Python scripts alongside C++
code.  Obviously having an interactive debugger helps speed up the development
cycle; not having one may remove gains made from coding in a higher-level
language like Python.

In this situation, what do people here suggest?  The debugger will run on a
Windows machine, but needs to debug Python code running on a device elsewhere
on the network.  I think it probably will have to be able to attach to an
already running process, and will have to deal with the interpreter being
embedded in another application.

Am I expecting too much?

Thanks!

Carl