Newbe: password program

andy andy at eastonwest.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 09:45:00 EST 2003

pavs,

I've been using Python for about 2 years, and I don't feel I'v done more than
scratch the surface yet!  I don't mean it's heavy-going, I just mean that
there's such depth to it, and people are so actively using it in such
interesting ways.  I wish I'd bothered to look up this mailing list long
before, because there are so many sharp minds to learn from here (even if
they don't always agree on *how* to do things, or even *why* !).  The best
thing is that there *are* so many people willing to give guidance and
opinions so freely.

As far as I know, you can interface just about any language to Python, but the
'native' compiled language behind it all seems to be predominantly C/C++.

You can do assembly interfaces in C/C++ easilty, so by extrapolation, you can
therefore extend Python with assembly.  Not sure if that is neccesarily a
good idea, though (but I'm sure plenty of people will be willing to let you
know their opinions!).

Reading material I've found useful (all online):
	Guido's Tutorial
		Once you get over the sort-of meandering style it's a good starting place.

	The Module Index Docs
		Lots of examples in there, enough to get you going most times.

	The Language Reference
		For when you want to know *why* and *how* some part of the language works.

	Google search
		Just tap in "python doobery" and you'll get loads of, mostly useful, refs.

	python.faqts - http://python.faqts.com
		Loads of stuff woth looking at

	zone.fbot - http://effbot.org/zone
		Loads more useful stuff.

Hope this is useful (maybe not today, but sometime soon!)

regards,
-andyj