Can't get Tkinter to work - Python 2.2 and RedHat 8

Steven Faulconer geek at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jan 11 17:11:35 EST 2003

R. C. Ellis wrote:
> Apparently RedHat 8 doesn't install the Tkinter libs, so I downloaded,
> built and installed the latest 2.2 release.  I located lib-tk and put
> that in a PYTHONPATH environment variable, but things like Idle and
> "from Tkinter import *" can't find it.
>
> I must be missing something, but I can't figure out what.
>
> RC

RC,

Not sure I can be of much assitance, but near the end of the compile of
Python, it runs something like, 'python setup.py build' which from what
I can tell, scans your system for various libraries and builds and
additional modules that it finds, hence, if it finds TCL/TK libraries,
it will build Tkinter. You might try running 'python setup.py build' by
hand and see what it does when it gets to Tkinter, might give you a bit
more information to go on. My problem has always been not finding the
libraries or headers. Hope that helps somewhat.

Steven