Distributing Python apps

Norman Skrzypinski zypin at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 4 12:10:45 EST 2003

"Bjorn Pettersen" wrote :
> From: Norman Skrzypinski [mailto:zypin at sympatico.ca]
>
> I've spent the last couple of months investigating Visual
> Basic, Visual C++, Euphoria, Python and Perl.  I like Python,
> but I'm put off by the pain-in-the-rear methods of creating
> standalone Python applications.  Isn't this a serious
> shortcoming that should receive a lot of immediate attention?
> Is there a developer-friendly builder-installer in the works?

It might be useful for us to know what you think the shortcomings are of
Distutils, py2exe, and Installer...

-- bjorn

Hi, Bjorn.

>From what I have read in the "Distributing Python Modules" section of the
Python Documentation (Release 2.2.2, October 14, 2002), both source and
built distributions can be installed only by users who have Python installed
on their machines.  They do not "standalone".

Until you mentioned it, I was unaware of py2exe.  After reading the Python
documentation, however, I read the first sentence on Gordon McMillan's web
page (http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html), which states,
"Distributing Python Apps...is a pain, if the user does not have Python
installed. And if they do, it's a pain to make sure your code fits in with
their setup."  Since this confirmed the impression that I already had, I
didn't read further on to see his reference to Thomas Heller's py2exe.  I'll
study that, now.

Thank you.

Norm