Help required to get PyQt working on Linux

Alan Hughes postmaster at 127.0.0.1
Tue Jan 7 16:43:17 EST 2003

I'm very new to Python, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

Platform: Mandrake Linux 9.0, Python 2.2 (vanilla RPM from Mandrake), QT
3.0.5 (vanilla RPM from Mandrake), PyQt 3.5 (RPM from Mandrake contribs).

PyQt installed OK and Python runs. However whenever Python sees the command:

    import qt

it complains about an undefined symbol. The symbol appears to be a standard
Qt one, so I'm assuming that provided I can get Python to load the Qt
dynamic libraries (located in /usr/lib/qt3/lib) I'll be OK. The problem is,
how can I get Python to do this (given that PyQt is being loaded using
dlopen() which does not perform automatic linking of unresolved symbols
AFAIK).

Thanks in advance

Alan