Python vs .Net

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Mon Jan 6 14:25:55 EST 2003

> From: Dave Brueck [mailto:dave at pythonapocrypha.com]
[...]
> In talking to VB developers I sometimes get the feeling that
> they believe all or nearly all programs have a GUI. Is that
> just a misconception of mine or is it generally true? Does
> the same also apply to .Net developers? To be honest, very
> few of my programs have a GUI, and even in the ones that do
> have a GUI the real "meat" of the program is rarely the GUI
> anyway. Of course it is important to be able to build
> programs rapidly, but in determining which tool (language) to
> use, I generally tend to weight GUI-building capabilities
> below, say, code maintainability (yes there are exceptions,
> but this current discussion is about generalities).
[...]

It holds true for a majority of the C# developers I know also. In my
company (and I'm assuming this is the norm) we hire Interactive
Presentation Layer (IPL) programmers with a completely different set of
criteria. Much emphasis is placed on graphic design skills, and a little
less emphasis is placed on theoretical CS knowledge and minute
programming language trivia. Personally, I haven't created a gui in over
three years which makes me very happy (partly because my graphical
design and color coordingation skills are laughable -- or was that
laughed at..? <g>).

-- bjorn