Novel Thoughts on Scripting and Languages

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Jan 9 15:59:35 EST 2003

In article <52719db8.0301082259.535824a4 at posting.google.com>, James Huang wrote:

> Allow me to give my non-scientific definition of scripting language:
>
> Scripting (in programming sense)
>================================
> is to do things easily, intuitively, obviously, and accurately, so
> much so that when another person (with the same domain knowledge) sees
> a chunk of code, he immediately understands it without even a hint of
> reasoning (ideally).

I don't think that's a common definition of "scripting". I'd
say that what you stated above is (or should be) a goal for any
programming language of any type.

I would define scripting as writing a program to automate a
repetative task that might normally done manually (via a series
of GUI point and click operations or a series of manually
entered shell commands).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I want to perform
                                  at               cranial activities with