Suggestion: UnixOptionParser class in optparse.py

Rich Harkins rharkins at thinkronize.com
Mon Jan 6 13:26:52 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 13:19, Bjorn Pettersen wrote:
> > From: Rich Harkins [mailto:rharkins at thinkronize.com]
> >
> > I love the OptionParser class.  Good stuff.  The only thing
> > that I would want different (right now anyway) would be a
> > simple way to parse Unix style options (first non-option
> > argument terminates options).
>
> Does the getopt module
> (http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-getopt.html) do what you
> want? (It's the pre Python 2.3 way of doing options...)
>
> -- bjorn

In many ways yes, and I have used it extensively over the years.  OTOH,
I have always wanted a class to shorten the standard chunk of code
necessary to manage the parsed options, print help, etc., which
optparse.py seems to handle quite well -- except for the un-Unix-like
ability to stick arguments anywhere in the sys.argv.  Since the author
of optparse.py has done a nice job of allowing Unix-like parsing as
well, I would simply like to see a subclass that lets me get there
without having to subclass it in my own libraries (which will obviously
duplicate other's efforts to do the same almost certainly) or stick the
exception in the code every time I want to use OptionParser.

Rich