Explicit Frustration of the Self

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Jan 4 04:48:50 EST 2003

DeadWisdom wrote:

> Another thought: how OO is Python?  It allows me to create Objects, I
> guess.  But do these objects really have methods?  I don't think so.
> Not with the way self acts now.  Right now, you are effectively,
> creating functions and then calling them with the first argument
> outside of the parenthesis, and to the left of the function, and a
> dot.

That the self is explicit doesn't mean that Python is suddenly not
object oriented.  Hint:  Practically all implementations of object
oriented languages do it the same way, it's just the self (or this)
argument is implicit.

/  \ So look into my eyes / I won't tell you lies
\__/ Neneh Cherry
    Alcyone Systems' Daily Planet / http://www.alcyone.com/planet.html
 A new, virtual planet, every day.