[ann] Minimal Python project

Matthias Heiler heiler at nospm-uni-mannheim.de
Tue Jan 14 08:33:38 EST 2003

Hello,

Paul Rubin wrote:
> In fact some Lisp systems have been shown to produce compiled code
> that runs as fast as compiled C code.  I don't see that Python needs
> to be different.

A free example ist CMUCL [1], which produces excellent code if provided with
enough type information (which is optional in common lisp).  Maybe it's
interesting for the Minimal-Python-Crew to look at.

Along this line, there's an article from Richard P. Gabriel on how a "next
lisp" should look like [2].  At least superfiscially, Richard's ideas sound
similar to some stated in this thread.

Lisp has a looong history and finally managed to combine efficient
compilation with a highly dynamic programming model.  Building on some of
lisp's experience may help steer Minimal-Python (or whatever will be its
name) in the right direction.

Best wishes,

 Matthias

[1] http://www.cons.org/cmucl/