Copyright on the Python and Python-console icons?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Jan 14 21:54:53 EST 2003

[Mike C. Fletcher]
> Okay, thanks all.  I'm thinking I'll have to find a way to blackmail
> the board (or at least Tim) into not suing me :) .

[Erik Max Francis]
> At this point I'd say either secure written permission or take a pass on
> the idea.

I wouldn't <wink>.  Mike got a public statement from a PSF director (me)
that he thinks Mike's use is fine.  Anything beyond that is going to drag
lawyers and expense into it, not to mention non-existent "spare time" from
other PSF directors to bother with it.  If Mike is still uncomfortable, he
can make a formal request to the PSF board, and fritter away more of his
time worrying about a non-issue too.  Note this point in the PSF's mission
statement:

    http://www.python.org/psf/mission.html

    + Establishes PSF licenses, ensuring the rights of the public to
      freely obtain, use, redistribute, and modify intellectual property
      held by the PSF.

Copyrights are among the kinds of "intellectual property" the PSF holds, and
everything in the Python distro under the PSF copyright is covered by the
PSF license.  So long as Mike doesn't violate the license, he doesn't even
need to ask permission -- the PSF license explicitly grants him permission
to use, redistribute (and etc) the intellectual property held by the PSF.
So if Mike pushes this, the advice we'll pay our lawyers to give him is that
he pay his lawyer to give him advice on whether he's conforming to the terms
of the PSF license.  If Mike doesn't push this, he can use the icons in
peace and nobody will complain.

win-win-or-lose-lose-it's-a-tough-decision<0.9-wink>-ly y'rs  - tim