Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Tyler nlper at junglemate.com
Fri Jan 31 02:21:19 EST 2003

Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1043800733.19006.python-list at python.org>...

> When I was working for the Canadian military, we got people working
> on problems and then stuck them in machines which measured blood flow
> in different regions of the brain.  Neither python nor C++ were
> invented then, but C and Lisp were.
>
> Statistically, C problem solvers were way more active in the
> language-processing-and symbol-manipulation areas of the brain then
> they were in the parts of the brain associated with imagery, drawing,
> and conceptualising.  Lisp problem solvers were more balanced.

As I recall, the rule of thumb is that equalizing blood flow
is a good thing.

But I wonder where you found all those people who could comfortably
program in both Lisp and C. If the subjects weren't at least bilingual
in coding, wouldn't you'd be potentially obscuring the data with
self-selection issues? That is, inadvertently selecting programmer
subjects whose problem set preferences led to their preference for
C, say, and measuring a given blood flow difference because that
was just the way a subject used the brain in programming in general.

This reminds of the anecdotal correspondence of programming with
musicians. Ah, so many variables, so little time...

Tyler