Continuations

Jonathan P. jbperez808 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 19:39:14 EST 2003

Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1043070703.14456.python-list at python.org>...
> > Every introduction to continuations I've found either describes it using
> > Scheme, which I haven't touched in a decade, and which I suspect most
> > people haven't worked with at all, or re-uses the above Python example
> > with little explanation.
>
> In Scheme, it is easier to express, and you don't need
> tricks like above.
> While Python doesn't need continuations.
> Stackless focuses on tasklets and channels, now.

I finally understood how continuations worked when I
spent a couple of days working with some examples in
Scheme.  Nathaniel Gray's, "A Tutorial on Continuations"
does a great job of demystifying it.  Once I understood
how they worked, I found it really wasn't as arcane
as the impression I first got.  The closest analogy
I could think is that of a bookmark (in execution).